Day 17 – Kentucky Lake but Tennessee River?

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Green Turtle Bay Marina, Lake Barkley, KY to Rockport Slough, Tennessee River mile marker #107

(see accompanying Photo Blog for Day 17)

It was a later wake up than usual – 6:30 AM. The Captain wanted to take advantage of cafe/coffee shop at the marina to get his biscuits and gravy. They didn’t open until 7 AM, so it was a later wake up than usual – 6:30 AM. We are used to 5:30 wake up but none of us complained. While Terry made coffee for Bill, Mike and himself I prepared Ovaltine for Hugh and then went for a second hot shower. I don’t know if two showers in 18 hours will prevent me from needing one sooner; I thought I’d try anyway.

“Whatcha doing Bill?” I asked.

“Nothing…” he replied, “why?” And with that he took all our bills and paid for our breakfasts.

“Why thanks Bill!”

We were done with breakfast by 7:30 but the office, where there was ice, didn’t open until 8.

“Do you have ice available,” Hugh asked our waitress.

“Sure, how many?”

So rather than leaving the marina a little after 8 AM, we got on our way early. As we exited Green Turtle Bay Marina we saw two sea planes take off that had been parked down by the Lake Barkley Dam. It was neat to see a new type of transportation after seeing boats and tow and barges for two and a half weeks. From Barkley Lake we motored to Barkley Canal which took us onto Kentucky Lake and the Tennessee River. We’re at the stage of our trip where rivers seem to intertwine with lakes and it is hard to determine exactly what the proper name, of the body of water that we are on, is. So were we on the Tennessee River or the Kentucky Lake or both? Both until mile marker #116. Kentucky Lake ended 90 miles before we turned off the Tennessee River onto Yellow Creek and Pickwick Lake.

Andiamo had left before we finished our breakfast. She had pulled in to Green Turtle Bay marina just ahead of us and spent the night in the slip next to us. She was being delivered to Key West from Chicago. She had been having some major motor problems and hopefully got them straightened out. Later in the day we saw her ahead of us on the side of the channel in shallow water. It looked like she was being pulled or pushed out by a tow and a TowBoat US boat. Once she got back in deep enough water and tested her motors she went back to a marina we had just passed. Listening to her conversation with the marina it sounded like they were going to play it safe, call it a short day and spend the night at the marina.

I made some more No Bake cookies, since everyone seemed to like them very much. After mixing and cooking on the stove top the sugar, butter and cocoa I added the peanut butter and oats, but there was something wrong with the recipe. It was runny and didn’t want to set as it cooled. Thinking I hadn’t cooked it long enough I put it back on the stove top. That seemed to make it oiler and worse. I was interrupted when I was measuring the oatmeal, but I thought I had put enough in. Maybe not, so I added more oatmeal. That kind of worked. Finally they set up and I was able to finish them. I had made them previously from the galley cookbook without a hitch. The guys liked them quite a bit, but I couldn’t figure out what had gone wrong. (The recipe is below and accurate – I realized the next day what my mistake was. See Day 18.)

The scenery is very pretty and were the wind blowing and our sails up we’d be having a lot of fun sailing all over Kentucky Lake. The temperatures have been warming up a bit and mid-afternoon we started peeling layers. I have a picture of Terry at the helm (see Photos Day 17). He’s still wearing three layers, rather than they typical five or six that we’ve all been wearing. Usually I’m in a camisole, t-shirt, long sleeve denim, vest, liner for my parka and overcoat. Flannel lined jeans are my favorite thus far and sometimes I wear my foul-weather gear pants as more insulation against the cold and 9 knots of wind that we create from our speed. I almost didn’t bring my flannel jeans, thinking that regular jeans and foul weather pants would be enough, especially since we were going south. When I saw Hugh packing his, I knew it was a definite signal to follow suit. And boy-o-boy am I glad I did. Who would have thought we’d be wearing five layers of clothes down here in Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi?

We continue to see lots of great blue heron and large flocks of coots. As we got closer to where we were going to anchor we passed a section that was a wildlife conservation area. The pelicans and cormorants must have read the signs as they were parked there by the hundreds.

Skipper Bob recommended an area between the shore and Rockport Island. It read as if it had plenty of water. About a mile away Hugh took over at the wheel and motored us in. He carefully paid attention to the depths which had been reading 30 and 40 feet. He was watching the contour line and looking for 15 feet or so to anchor in. He motored next to the island as far as he felt comfortable but the depths weren’t getting any shallower. They were staying deep. The water was so deep close to shore that he could have put the bow sprit over the bank. With the river wall so steep Terry or Andy could have easily stepped off onto shore. We set both a bow and a stern anchor to keep us from swinging and went below to enjoy a hot meal of Italian baked chicken with veggies.

“I didn’t make a big dinner because we have dutch peach pie from Patti’s from dessert.” I said. “Do you want it warmed up?”


No Bake Cookies


2 cups sugar

½ cup milk

½ cup cocoa

Pinch salt

½ cup butter

1 cup peanut butter

3 cups oatmeal


Mix sugar, milk, cocoa, salt and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover saucepan for 30 seconds after boil, then stir and bring to a boil that can’t be stirred down for 1 minute.

Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter.

Add oatmeal and mix.

Let stand for 10 minutes then arrange and cool.

(I like arranging 1 tablespoon sized balls on waxed paper, it works well.)


About juliemckaycovert

I am a therapist, teacher, photographer and published author. I am a lover of life and nature. My husband, Hugh, and I live off the grid on a remote 40 acre island, Shelter Island, just off of Drummond Island in the far eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This blog is about my life, a life I thought I'd never be able to live. This blog is about dreams and ideals being manifested. It is about daily events with a backwoods twist. It is about the simple pleasures and wonders being brought forth. I invite you to be inspired and even, as some friends have, live vicariously through my words.
This entry was posted in Appledore, Food, Locks, River, Schooner, Skipper Bob's book and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s