Day 30 – Tag-a-long

Friday, November 11, 2011

Gulf of Mexico N 29 40’ W 85 16’ Anchorage to N 28 35’ W 083 52’

(See Photos – Week 5, Day 30)

We had good wind to raise the main, fore and staysails. Depending upon how much wind we had and the direction we did turn the motor on for some parts of the day. Since leaving Mobile we’d been headed east. A lot of us have sore necks from being heeled over to starboard and sitting in the same position looking forward.

The wind had picked up causing waves that were tossing the boat in a corkscrew motion. It’s one thing to rock to and fro or to be bounding through the waves. When the water causes the boat to do both motions at once it creates a corkscrew motion. I didn’t know if it was because I was slightly constipated that I started feeling a bit nauseous or if it was the heat from the diesel stove in the galley as I was making shepherd’s pie for dinner. Whatever it was I wasn’t able to eat lunch. Poor Andy, who prefers to be up on deck anyway, started looking green gilled as if he was feeling like I was. Unfortunately it wasn’t too long after lunch that it came back up for him.

It was a fun day. Rex and Terry pulled out the tackle that Captain Scott had gifted us with and put lines over to troll for fish. We also had about eight dolphins run with us for a half hour. About ten o’clock in the morning Rex thought he had a fish on his line. He’s been deep sea fishing before and had us all excited about the possibility of fresh fish. His line was over the stern and he reeled it in and in. His jig was empty when it came in sight; oh well. I guess I’ll need to make dinner as planned — spaghetti and salad.

Around noon, I spotted a LBJ headed straight towards us, coming up from behind. It hovered around a starboard stern and then landed on the Lifesling 2, overboard rescue system. The little brown job birdie hopped around pecking at our lines, seeming to look for a snack. It seemed tame enough that I could have even petted it if I had wanted. We identified it as a yellow rumped warbler in winter attire. It stayed for a couple minutes and then just flew off.

“Guess what Terry?” I asked.

“What?” He asked.

“It’s that time again.”

“Really, how did that happen?”

Time flew by; before he knew it an hour and a half had sailed by and it was time for him to get himself off the doghouse and stretch his legs. I would then take the next hour and a half then go prepare dinner.

Andy didn’t eat but I decided to eat in the fresh air, which helped keep my stomach settled.

“That’s great spaghetti Julie,” Mike said.

“Thanks for another great meal,” Bill chimed in.

“By the way,” Rex said, “that little bird came and said ‘Hi’ again.”

After dinner at 18:00 hours, Terry and I came off watch and cleaned up. A crimson beauty rose for us that night. It was almost full. We then turned in for the night. We continued to sail through the night.

About juliemckaycovert

I am a therapist, teacher, photographer and published author. I am a lover of life and nature. My husband, Hugh, and I live off the grid on a remote 40 acre island, Shelter Island, just off of Drummond Island in the far eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This blog is about my life, a life I thought I'd never be able to live. This blog is about dreams and ideals being manifested. It is about daily events with a backwoods twist. It is about the simple pleasures and wonders being brought forth. I invite you to be inspired and even, as some friends have, live vicariously through my words.
This entry was posted in Birds, Gulf of Mexico, Sailing, Schooner and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s